POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 88,000 spheres and about 80K : Re: 88,000 spheres and about 80K Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 88,000 spheres and about 80K
From: Rainer Mager
Date: 8 Oct 1999 02:03:49
Message: <37fd8945@news.povray.org>
Ahh, I smell a challenge. If I'm still interested when I get back from 2
weeks vacation (leaving tomorrow) I will attempt to better this. It is a bit
hard to see but is this 5 iterations (5 different sizes of spheres)? If so I
bet I can make at least 7 and maybe 8 AND keep it under 200Megs usage.

What I would do first is split the thing into 2 parts. It is obvious that
each bubbly sphere thingy is repeated in may places. Given this I think you
could create the smaller sphere thingys as a CSG shape and then just repeat
that in different places. The trade off is how small a CSG do you create
versus how many times you want to place it. My guess would be half way, that
is 3 iterations for the small thingy and use it for 3 iterations of the big
thingy.

Anyhoo, I hope the above makes some sort of sense. Good luck and I'll be
back in 2 weeks.

--Rainer